Saturday, January 24, 2015

Valour Gone Wrong

I have to admit something... I kinda did a terrible thing.  It may never be recognized by those who it was done to. But for those who read this blog, you will know what I have done.  Feel free to judge me...

It all started with good intentions. You see, at work I run a program called The Colour of the Month.  Each month has its own colour. I choose a fabric of that colour and cut it into approximately 15x15" pieces. Anyone who would like to participate buys one piece for $2.50 and makes something with said fabric.  If they bring their project back before the end of the month, they get entered into a draw for a $25 gift certificate.

In November, I changed things up a bit.  The colour was red, and the fabric had red poppies on it.  So I thought it would be nice to ask everyone to make up a 12x12" block that would be part of a quilt to donate to the legion.  Everyone was quite excited at the prospect. 
I realized, of course, that with so many different people involved, measurements were bound to be off. I thought I had this all figured out by choosing a means of connecting the blocks with sashing so that the blocks were all offset and it wouldn't be so obvious that they were slightly different sizes.  
All the blocks were on my wall so that I know where to strategically place the sashing to make the pattern.  I started with the top left corner.  Then I stopped... 
What had I done?! (When you see it, you'll know.)  This quilt was going to be donated to the freaking Legion! They were so excited when I phoned to see if they were interested in the idea.  And now I was commited.  They were expecting it.  Twenty-four ladies had put time and thought into their blocks.  And here I was putting symbols of terror into a valour quilt! 

I called my husband into the room.  He saw it, too.  He told me I couldn't keep doing this - that I needed to undo it and think of something else.  

But I couldn't. I kept going.  I made that same shape over and over.  I fretted about it the entire time but tried to convince myself that when it was all put together it wouldn't be so obvious.  In fact, no one would even know.  But I knew.
I was right. No one noticed.  Or at least, they were polite enough not to say anything.  But the quilt is done now. And every time I look at it, I see them. They haunt me.  And they will hang in the Legion for all the brave veterans to see.  I just hope no one has some crazy flashback... :S

No comments:

Post a Comment