Friday, December 14, 2012

Just wash the damn spoon...

Last week, I was approached by the daughter of a friend who asked if I would be attending the school play that she was in. Not being a Christian and knowing that this was at the Christian school, I knew I would be in for a night of religious Christmas lore, but how could I refuse that adorable, toothy grin?

The play was cute. Particularly, the chickens in the stable. "Cluck" "Cluck" "CLUCK!!" Had to be there. Anyway! It had the usual sound mishaps. A few people forgot their lines. And there was a noticeable wardrobe malfunction (Thankfully, not like Janet Jackson.). But it was mostly entertaining. Unfortunately, the young lady who invited me to the play had only one line. She did an excellent job. They should have given her a bigger part. (Biased, maybe?)

I couldn't help but notice that, as they were talking about sin, they had plastic, disposable table cloths, plastic cups (and, later, styrofoam cups for coffee), paper plates and paper napkins. They did, however, have metal cutlery. Which just confused me. If they were going to have to do dishes at all, why not just wash some plates and cups, too? Might take a LITTLE longer...

It made me very sad to know how much garbage would be added to the landfill from that night. There were easily more than 100 people in that gym.

I am reminded of a quote: "It's pretty that our society has reached a point where the effort necessary to extract oil from the ground, ship it to a refinery, turn it into plastic, shape it appropriately, truck it to a store, buy it, and bring it home is considered to be less effort than what it takes to just wash the spoon when you're done with it."

I suppose, in this case, the spoon is the only thing that did get washed afterwards, but you get the point.



PS: I apologize if I offended anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Don't apologize! You made very valid points. It's a slow and sometimes painful process to get people to understand the impact they have on each other and on our great Mother Earth. That being said... I apologize for the disposable plates at the Yule party.

    ReplyDelete