Friday, December 7, 2012

Crazy? Or not crazy enough?

My employee thinks I'm crazy because I recycle the cardboard on the back of packaging such as for batteries. She thinks that's crazy! I've never considered myself an extremist when it comes to my environmentalism. Not even kinda. But perhaps no one would think that of themselves.

I never preach. It's really hard when, for example, someone brings me a coffee, just out of the goodness of their heart, in a disposable cup. I never want to be one of those people who makes someone feel bad for doing something that, in their mind, is a kind gesture. Even if it goes against my beliefs.

So how far is extreme? Would it be wrong of me to say something if I get that gesture of coffee? Maybe I'm one of the very few who think about every plastic sticker on every piece if fruit.

And sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I hate feeling guilty about buying myself a Pepsi. About not getting my meat from farmers so I can avoid the styrofoam packaging because it's just way damn easier to get it from the grocery store. I don't feel that I have the time to make my own ketchup, nor do I want to live without it. So, no, I definitely don't think of myself as an extremist.

I do, however, buy bar shampoo to avoid the bottle. I use tooth tabs instead of toothpaste that come in a recycled cardboard box instead of a plastic tube. I give packing peanuts from my inventory orders to the local stationary store so they can resell them rather than them having to buy more.

I may not be an extremist, but I try...

1 comment:

  1. The point is to do what you can - the best you can. That's all you need to do. You're amazing and if separating the plastic from the cardboard on a package to be recycled is extreme, then, Girl, be as extreme as you can!

    Isn't extreme the new cool? Extreme sports are all over the place. I think it's very cool that you care about the Earth to do what what you do.

    ReplyDelete