Sunday, March 31, 2013

I want it. I want it! I WANT IT!!

I want a garden. I want to be able to take a seed, place it in the earth, watch the plants grow, harvest the spoils and collect seeds to do it all again the next year.

I don't want a flower garden. My interest is agricultural and ecological. I want to know where my food comes from, that it is grown without chemicals, reduce my ecological footprint by having food that comes from my back yard instead of Mexico and have a personal relationship with the earth.

I find it very sad when kids don't know that carrots are grown in the ground or even that I myself didn't know what part of the plant peanuts grew on until very recently. I actually thought they grew on a tree like other nuts. Turns out they aren't truly a nut at all, but a legume. More closely related to peas than walnuts.

Alas, I am not allowed to grow a garden in my rental unit's yard. I am being discouraged to even keep my compost because it's "ugly". I have secured myself a spot in a community garden, however, am dubious about whether or not I'll actually make the effort to go across town regularly to tend it. I am a busy person and usually end up zoning out with a movie, a book or a bath at the end of the day.

That being said, I WANT a garden. So I am determined to give it a bash. I am putting it out there, to all of you that this is my plan. I am going to buy myself some seeds and get planting! I will try to remain accountable and let you all know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I want a garden, too! I am determined to have one and to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Before the end of the month, the shovel will be out and I will get that gravel moved this year! I will. I will see the transformation of the yard and I will have a garden. Soon!

    ReplyDelete